Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Eggs under my couch cushion

I had about 7 clear, round eggs under my couch cushion (see photo attached). They were scattered and varied in size, but all were fairly small. Very hard to the touch. Any idea what kind of eggs they are? I live in a suburb north of NYC. Thank you.

I'm not sure what these are but I don't think they are eggs. Insect eggs are not hard like you describe. Can you get a close up picture? Have you look at them through a magnifying glass?

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply. I had jumped to the conclusion that they were insects because I had a few bites on my leg. After your response I looked very closely at the clear balls and I am embarrased to reply that they are little plastic balls from one of my daughter's toys that had opened at the seam slightly. Thanks for calming my fears!

Glad the mystery is solved. Most "bug bites" turn out to be caused by something other than insects or mites. The list of possible culprits is long (allergies, physical irritants, and so forth, plus a few bugs). Here's a list of insects and mites that do bite and some of the things that can look like bug bites.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology