Entomology (Study of Bugs)/nest in windowsill

i found a nest (i think) on the sill between my inner and outer windows. it looks like a pile of rotted leaves or mud and crumbles at a touch. it seems to have cells like a wasp nest. some of the cells contain dry brown hollow husks that are dark brown and about 1 half inch long. what is it? it is only in one window out of two.

Hi, Denise:

You are describing the nest of a "grass-carrier" wasp, a solitary insect that hunts tree crickets and small katydids as food for its offspring, then stashes its prey in pre-existing cavities.  I even did a video about this phenomenon:

with another blog post here:

That should answer all your questions.  Please let the nest be if you are able to.  Thank you.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.