Entomology (Study of Bugs)/praying mantis egg hatching

Question
I would like to know when the young will emerge from the praying mantis egg sac that has overwintered in my garden.  Somewhere I saw that a certain number of days above a certain temperature was needed, but have not been able to find that again.  Can you help me?
I don't want to miss this.
Thanks!

Answer
Gail,

The exact date of hatch is highly variable and is different for different populations, even within the same species. Your best option may be to enclose the egg sac in a mesh bag and check it every day once the weather starts to get warm. The measure you are referring to is called "degree-days".

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis