Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Red Winged Flying Insect in Dominican Republic

Do you know what the name is of the attractive red winged flying insect buzzing around the bushes outside our ground floor patio in Sosua, Dominican Republic? The body is black, not shiny at all.  It's about 3/4" long.  It does not have a thin body.   My husband thinks it looks like a fuzzy June bug, but I'm not so sure I'd describe it that way.  It looks kind of fat like a bumble bee to me.

Without at least an image of the critter in question, I cannot even place it to "order" level of classification.  There are many, many insects that mimic bees and wasps, plus those stinging insects themselves.  Further, the Dominican Republic is out of my jurisdiction.  I explicitly state my expertise is in North American insects.  Thank you for understanding.  Post an image with your question and I might be able to help.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.