Entomology (Study of Bugs)/small black bugs in kitchen lingering elsewhere

I first starte started seing  in my c in my cupboards underneath containers and inside of my flower bag and didn't see them for a whil now I've started to see a couple on my couches  and a bab that play on the which I vacuum every d it just really grosses m and they can crawl down to the and they can crawl down to the floor the pic of the bug is in acandle whichis a inch wide when they were in my cupboardsand i liftedsomething up they ran really fast!!

Dear Camarra - These are grain beetles in the genus Oryzaephilus (Coleoptera: Silvanidae). There are two species, the saw-toothed grain beetle (Oryzaephilus surinamensis) and the merchant grain beetle (O. mercator) that are difficult to tell apart, but both have similar habits and can be pantry pests. See for a fact sheet that includes control recommendations.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.