Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider in the Caribbean

Spider in the Caribbean
Spider in the Caribbea  
I live in Saint Thomas, US Virgin Islands. The house is located in the northside of the island. I found this spider inside the bathroom one afternoon, and some days later outside on our porch during the morning.
Date of first obsevation: february 16, 2013 around 4:00 pm.
Second day of observation: february 18, 2013 at 7:00 am.
The spider was alive but not moving much.
I am not familiar with spiders and is the first time that I see one of this size. I would like to know what type of spider is this and if is dangerous, and common in this territories.
Thank you in advance for your response.

It is a male tarantula of some kind (family Theraphosidae).  I am not familiar with fauna of the Caribbean (which is why I state explicitly that my expertise is in North American species).

I recommend posting your image in the "Spider and Arachnid Identification" forum at:

Registration is free, and there are people there who would be more familiar with different tarantula species, if only from the pet trade.  They could at least get you closer to a specific identification.

Lastly, no, this is definitely *not* a species recognized as dangerously venomous to people or pets.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.