Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider in the Caribbean

Question
Spider in the Caribbean
Spider in the Caribbea  
I live in Saint Thomas, US Virgin Islands. The house is located in the northside of the island. I found this spider inside the bathroom one afternoon, and some days later outside on our porch during the morning.
Date of first obsevation: february 16, 2013 around 4:00 pm.
Second day of observation: february 18, 2013 at 7:00 am.
The spider was alive but not moving much.
I am not familiar with spiders and is the first time that I see one of this size. I would like to know what type of spider is this and if is dangerous, and common in this territories.
Thank you in advance for your response.
Per

Answer
Per:

It is a male tarantula of some kind (family Theraphosidae).  I am not familiar with fauna of the Caribbean (which is why I state explicitly that my expertise is in North American species).

I recommend posting your image in the "Spider and Arachnid Identification" forum at:

http://www.spiders.us

Registration is free, and there are people there who would be more familiar with different tarantula species, if only from the pet trade.  They could at least get you closer to a specific identification.

Lastly, no, this is definitely *not* a species recognized as dangerously venomous to people or pets.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton