Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Is this a tick?

Pic 1
Pic 1  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
This weird little big just fell out of my hair. Is it a tick? It doesn't really look like the pictures I've found online, but I want to make sure I don't need to start panicking about Lyme. I live on east end of Long Island, rarely enter the woods, although my roommate keeps a shaggy dog in her half of the house.

I can't see it clearly enough to be certain, the image is a bit too dark. However, what I can see does resemble a tick. Don't be overly alarmed. If this is a tick it may not have feed since it does not appear to be engorged (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/ticks.html for info about what these terms mean). Can you get a clearer picture of the back? Try adding light with an ordinary flashlight so I can see more details.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology