Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unidentified beetle

Question
Unidentified Carabid
Unidentified Carabid  
Hi Eric,

I was looking for someone to help see if I can get an insect identified. Just a few hours ago, a fellow colleague came into the office and showed me the attached picture.

Iíve gone back to the site to look for the insect but it is nowhere to be found. Size is about 1 inch.

I wasnít too sure what it was but from my past training on entomology i would think it was a carabid of sorts...?? only thing is i've never seen a carabid with such distinctive features as this one so i have no clue on the genus and species. Actually i'm not even sure if its a carabid.. i guessed that purely based on the antenna.

I am based in Singapore and I know the beetle diversity is immense in asia and if it is not possible to get this identified, could you direct me to someone that has expertise in this area?

Thanks Very Much.

Answer
Jus:

Well, this is distinctive enough that even I can find it.  It is actually a type of blister beetle in the family Meloidae, genus Synhornia :

http://www.meloidae.com/en/pictures/351/

I'll let you do a little more digging to find out more about it :-)

Hope that gets you started anyway.  Thanks for sharing the awesome image!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton