Entomology (Study of Bugs)/unknown winged bug

Hello, could you please help me? Can you tell what this is?

The picture is not very good, and I am sorry about that. It is def NOT: a cricket, a long horned beetle, bedbug, juvenile ant, termite, nor a parasitic wasp. It looks closer to a Elm Seed Bug, except black with some oil-slick iridescence. This is the the third one I have found in 9 months in my bathroom (came in through the window). The body is approximately 1 cm long. The body is not segmented, nor are the antennae. This one is skinnier than the previous 2 were. I just wonder if it is something invasive. No one in this area seems to know what it is.

Hi, Isabelle:

Thank you for including the nice images with your question. I recognize this as an "ensign wasp," family Evaniidae.  Here is my blog post about them:

So, no, not invasive, but brought over intentionally to control exotic cockroaches.  They do not sting, so no worries there, either.

Hope this helps!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.