Entomology (Study of Bugs)/black beetle in bedroom - pic included now

black beetle in bedroom
black beetle in bedroo  
Sorry- I forgot to attach my picture last time!

Original question: Can you please help me to identify this bug I've been finding all over our bedroom? They are tiny, black beetles that are attracted to light, or anything light-colored (like the white comforter). I'm not sure if they fly or not, but they do seem to congregate in the ceiling lights (has a dome that they fall into and die). They don't bite, are really slow moving and don't seem to do much. 6 legs, 2 antenna feelers, and black/dark brown hard-shelled body.
Thank you for your time!

Hi, Kati:

Thanks for including the image with your question....Oooh, nice fingernails :-)

Ok, the insect is a beetle in the family Anobiidae (or Ptinidae, depending on which authority you consult), and it is either a "Cigarette Beetle" or "Drugstore Beetle."  Here is more information on each:

These beetles have been spread to all corners of the world through commerce, so they can turn up anywhere.  Chances are you have an infested product somewhere.  You should find it and discard the item.  Store vulnerable foodstuffs in glass or metal containers with tight-fitting lids.  The beetles can chew through cardboard and plastic easily to get to what they want.

Hope this helps.  Just about any ".edu" or ".gov" website about these insects will give you valid information and solutions.  Stay away from commercial websites from pest control services.  The beetles themselves pose no real health threat, but their presence can sometimes indicate fungal growth, which *can* be a health problem.

Good luck!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.