Entomology (Study of Bugs)/black beetle in bedroom

Can you please help me to identify this bug I've been finding all over our bedroom? They are tiny, black beetles that are attracted to light, or anything light-colored (like the white comforter). I'm not sure if they fly or not, but they do seem to congregate in the ceiling lights (has a dome that they fall into and die). They don't bite, are really slow moving and don't seem to do much. 6 legs, 2 antenna feelers, and black/dark brown hard-shelled body.
Thank you for your time!

Dear Kati - Without seeing an image, I can only guess at what you may have. I suspect that they may be carpet beetles (often resemble miniature lady beetles), but there are several other possibilities as well. Take a look at the images of carpet beetles at,, and to see if any of them resemble your unwanted 'guests', and if none of them do, please try to obtain a clear, close-up photo of at least one of yours and attach it to a follow-up question.
Waiting to hear back,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.