Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug id

Please help!  I was packing my suitcase to come home from vacation and found this bug.  Not sure how I saw it because it was pretty small. I am thinking it is a bed bug and want to alert the hotel we stayed at but wanted an experts opinion first. I have attached 2 pictures.  Thank you so much!

I'm pretty sure it is some kind of beetle, actually, though it is very hard to tell for certain from these two images (dark, lack detail).  Overall, it appears too narrow in shape to be a bed bug.

It could potentially be some kind of mold beetle, though, which could be equally problematic for the hotel.  I'd have the hotel submit the specimen to a local entomologist for proper identification.

It would be a good idea to check for bed bugs *whenever* you check into a room, no matter where you are.  Look behind headboards, along mattress seams, under mattress buttons, etc.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.