Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug id

Question
Bug
Bug  

Bug
Bug  
Please help!  I was packing my suitcase to come home from vacation and found this bug.  Not sure how I saw it because it was pretty small. I am thinking it is a bed bug and want to alert the hotel we stayed at but wanted an experts opinion first. I have attached 2 pictures.  Thank you so much!

Answer
Sheryl:

I'm pretty sure it is some kind of beetle, actually, though it is very hard to tell for certain from these two images (dark, lack detail).  Overall, it appears too narrow in shape to be a bed bug.

It could potentially be some kind of mold beetle, though, which could be equally problematic for the hotel.  I'd have the hotel submit the specimen to a local entomologist for proper identification.

It would be a good idea to check for bed bugs *whenever* you check into a room, no matter where you are.  Look behind headboards, along mattress seams, under mattress buttons, etc.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton