Entomology (Study of Bugs)/i dont know what it is

I was in logan dale Nevada and noticed a red ant looking insect when I really looked at it it was quite larger than any ant I've ever saw. It was a bit larger than a ladybug a red color and looked fuzzy. I was hoping you could tell me what it was.  I've never seen am insect like this one before

Hello Nukoma,

Please try to send a photo with your identification requests. This enables me to make a confident identification. However, I suspect that you may have seen a Red Velvet Ant, which is actually a type of wasp whose females look like ants. They are large, red and fuzzy. Here are some websites you can check out with good photos. Take a look at the photos to see if they look anything like what you saw. If they don't, let me know what was different and I will do my best to figure out what it was.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior