Entomology (Study of Bugs)/i dont know what it is

Question
I was in logan dale Nevada and noticed a red ant looking insect when I really looked at it it was quite larger than any ant I've ever saw. It was a bit larger than a ladybug a red color and looked fuzzy. I was hoping you could tell me what it was.  I've never seen am insect like this one before

Answer
Hello Nukoma,

Please try to send a photo with your identification requests. This enables me to make a confident identification. However, I suspect that you may have seen a Red Velvet Ant, which is actually a type of wasp whose females look like ants. They are large, red and fuzzy. Here are some websites you can check out with good photos. Take a look at the photos to see if they look anything like what you saw. If they don't, let me know what was different and I will do my best to figure out what it was.

1. http://ferrebeekeeper.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/5048/
2. http://bugguide.net/node/view/159/

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger