Entomology (Study of Bugs)/mystery bug

Question
I found this bug on the porch march 13, I originally thought it was a small rock until it started to crawl away.  I live in Chesapeake va. It is a sandy color and texture and when I went to try and capture it, it didn't roll up as much as it folded in half.  My girls and I are curious to what it is and hope you can help. It reminds me of a potato bug. It has tiny legs that u can barely make out. It just looks like a clump of wet sand about a quarter inch long.  It is probably a very common bug that we never noticed before because of its amazing camouflage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for you time.

Answer
Jessica:

If you had intended to attach an image with your question, it did not come through....

In any event, you are not talking about an insect or arachnid, but a land crustacean, probably a "woodlouse."  Here's a jumping off point:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/14

If this is *not* what you are describing, then I need at least an image to look at.  There *are* some beetles that fold like you describe, but they are not often seen.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton