Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Bug

Question
Big bug
Big bug  
I was just down in Mexico near Zihuatanejo and ran across this bug on a wall in the laundry room of our house our last night. Looked positively prehistoric and my girlfriend said it was so big it had hooves.  For reference, the body was about 3-4 inches long, it was late night and the bug never moved while I watched it, but my guess is it crawls. Biggest pincers I've ever seen.

Answer
Hi, John:

Fortunately, this is something from Mexico that I actually recognize :-)

The creature is an arachnid called a "tailless whip-scorpion" or amblypygid.  Here's more about them:

http://www.americanarachnology.org/gallery_amblypygids.html

http://biosci-labs.unl.edu/hebets/sensory_biology.html

Do be careful where else you go for information on these.  They are completely harmless to people and pets, and actually valued as mobile pest control in hotels, motels, and hostels in tropical resorts.

I'd love it if you would send me the image file with permission to use your image in a blog post about these curious animals.  I will obviously credit you.  Thanks.

Eric
bugeric24ATyahooDOTcom

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton