Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Bug Australia

Question
Mystery bug
Mystery bug  

Mystery bug 2
Mystery bug 2  
Good Afternoon Mr Saugstad,

I'm not quite sure if Australian insects would be of your expertise, however this insect has got me quite perplexed.

Just today my flatmate and I were sitting in our backyard when we noticed a strange insect emerge from our table.

We could not identify what it was as it walked backwards and forwards for a bit. The insect has 2 large Antennae in the MIDDLE of it's body, which can bend backwards (or forwards) not quite sure.

We are hoping you could help us attached is a picture of what we saw. We also have some film footage as well if you need to see more.

Hope you can help us.

Kind regards,

Bruce

Answer
Dear Bruce - This is a nymph of a plant hopper (superfamily Fulgoroidea in the order Hemiptera); likely in the family Eurybrachyidae - see http://tinyurl.com/a4jydbd for an example and http://tinyurl.com/bx2lypb for images of some adults. The function of the 'tails' on the nymph appears unknown as far as I can determine at this time. Additionally, some Australian species are known as 'wattle hoppers'; you might try doing a search on that term.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad