Entomology (Study of Bugs)/mystery bug pic

mystery bug pic
mystery bug pic  

mystery bug pic 2
mystery bug pic 2  
I have resent the pic, I hope it goes through this time.  Also, upon further inspection of the bug...  as the bug got more comfortable it began crawling all over the container I have it in. We noticed some things about it.  The outer rim of the bug lifted slightly as it walked.  We could see that it has a total of 6 legs and a tiny head that was only visible if it was stretching out with what looked like pincers made of hair?  The head however reminded me of a kind of aphid.  Anyways, I hope the picture helps.  We are a nature loving family and constantly googling things to find out what they are and this one had me stumped.  Thanks Again!

Ok, the images are of the larva of a green lacewing.  More about them here:

Some carry debris on their back to conceal themselves from potential predators.  They can bite, so handle carefully, but note that they are voracious predators of aphids :-)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.