Entomology (Study of Bugs)/mystery bugs

bug image
bug image  
I have these bugs all over my basement and especially notice them along the floor boards.  A lot or them have died but there are definitely plenty of live ones.  I noticed them last year but only one here and there and they were pretty much gone this winter however in the recent weeks they have been coming out in droves.  I live in Saint Paul MN and I would love ot know what these bugs are and if there is anything I can do to get rid of them!

Hi Karissa;
These are Isopods,small crustaceans with a lot of common names. They are called sowbugs,potato bugs, doodlebugs, pillbugs and woodlice. They thrive on moist conditions are usually die when the enter a house. You will have to find out how they are getting into the basement. With no energy source they will die. You can try a pyrethrum based spray along the baseboards.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ