Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small brown/black beetles

Hi, I have these small brown and black spotted beetles, about a third of the size of a lady bug, no segmentation. I've noticed them crawling around on my clothing and towels at my home and I don't know what they are. I saw a previous answer about a similar sized beetle with zig zag patterns on it and it was the "Varied Carpet Bettle" I'm not sure if that is what I have because like I said they have spots on the shell rather than zig-zags. I just want to know what they are and how to get rid of them.

The color pattern on varied carpet beetles can look like spots, see for another picture. See that page for control info as well and post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology