Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny brown worms in shower. :/

Question
Worm
Worm  
QUESTION: Tonight when I took a shower I found 2 worms on the ledge of the tub. They are maybe a 1/2 inch long and very thin. They kind of glide/inch along very slowly. Can you tell me what they might be?

ANSWER: Angie:

The animal in your image is not an insect or a worm, but a millipede.  Perhaps it is this one:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/97437

Many species of millipedes common in urban areas have been introduced to North America from Europe.

They are not dangerous (though some have defensive secretions that if ingested could cause health problems); and they scavenge decaying organic matter.  They are very moisture-dependent, so drying out rooms where you find them will help discourage their appearance.

Hope this helps.

Eric

QUESTION: Thank you for your very quick reply!  I am wondering if you have any insight as to how they could be getting into my shower. They have only been in one corner of the shower on the ledge where I keep my conditioner.  The two yesterday made their way up the wall just a little bit- they are very slow moving and I let them live for a while while I tried to figure out what they were. We flushed those down the toilet but today there were two more in the same place. It is not near to the drain so it doesn't seem like they're coming from there. There is a fairly small crack in the wood on the ledge. Could they be coming from there?  Also, I just had a new bottle of conditioner shipped to me 3-4 days ago. Could their eggs have been on the bottle?  I just want to get rid of them for good!

Answer
Angie:

I can't hazard a guess as to where they are coming from, sorry.  Insects, arachnids, and related small organisms are truly confounding in how they manage to get into homes.  No, I highly doubt the new conditioner bottle is to blame.

Has it been raining a lot there recently?  Millipedes and other soil-dwellers will often be literally flushed out of their hiding places during heavy rains, and seek higher ground.

They will cease to appear soon enough on their own I suspect.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton