Entomology (Study of Bugs)/worm and multiple myeloma connection if any

Do you think persistent worms inside gutt or body could lead to bone marrow cancer which is called Multple Myeloma? my mom is having MM since 7 years now. she is 72 yrs and i am 45. when i was in 9th grade school about 15 years, i had seen smaall about 3 mm and very thin red worms in toilet commode water after i guess my mother had been to toilet. i wondered if she carried any infection and was worried then. any connection with such worms and MM?

Dear Uday - To the best of my knowledge, there has never been any evidence put forth for any association between parasitic infections of any kind and increased risk for multiple myeloma. See and for detailed information on this disorder.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.