Entomology (Study of Bugs)/big black flying insect with 2 broad yellow stripes

Question
I live in northwest Tennessee.  Yesterday my wife and I were working in the flowerbed, and I noticed a big black bug flying around the pink azalea blossoms.  It was about 2-3 inches long and it had 2 broad yellow stripes on its abdomen.  On closer inspection I thought it might be a humming bird because I saw that it had what looked like tail feathers at the end of its abdomen.  So then I got really close, and saw that it had antennae.  Its head and antennae were fuzzy like a moth, but the lower half of its body was not fuzzy.  I have never seen a bug like this.  It looked like a cross between a bumble bee, humming bird, and a moth.  Any ideas?

Answer
Chuck:

Thankfully, this is one I can recognize without an image attached to the question....

The creature is a "Nessus Sphinx" moth:

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Amphion-floridensis

http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/species.php?hodges=7873

It is thought that the moth might be mimicking a cicada killer wasp.  The moths fly mostly at dusk.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton