Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black bug, being bitten

Black bug
Black bug  
A few nights ago I woke up with several bites. The following two nights I have awoken with many more bites. First thought was bed bugs, however I have examined and find no evidence of them. (Yes I know they can hide in walls too)  last night I felt something on my face and grabbed it. It was a black bug that doesn't look like bed bug. I left it on the counter for my husband to look at but he threw it away not realizing what it was. I just found another one crawling on my pillow. Can you please Id it and tell me if you think this is what has been biting me?

This is a beetle, possibly the black carpet beetle, see this page about a related species (varied carpet beetle) or google "black carpet beetle" for more pics. These beetles do not bite so something else must be going on. Here's a list of insects and mites that bite people and some things that often mimic bug bites: Post a follow up if you have questions after looking over this list.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology