Entomology (Study of Bugs)/brown bug in bathroom

Question
Top View
Top View  

Underside View
Underside View  
I live in New York City. I live on the 23rd floor of a tall apartment building. I recently just moved in and found this brown bug in the bathroom. It is extremely small, was not moving, and it was near the wall by my shower. What kind of bug is this? Where did it come from (i.e. tracked in?...we do not wear shoes inside the apt) Should I be worried? Is it going to be a problem that needs to be eradicated via an exterminator? I only found one of them, but should I be concerned about an infestation? Could I have brought it in when I was moving in?

Answer
Jill,

This is the larva of a carpet beetle, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for more pictures. No need to be alarmed as these are very common. Follow the instructions on the page cited above and post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis