Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug

QUESTION: Just started finding these little bugs in my carpet last night. I am a very clean person with an indoor only cat. What are they, how did they get inside (I spray my exterior weekly), how do I get RID of them, how do I prevent them from coming back. Thanks!

ANSWER: Heidi,

These are carpet beetles, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for control info. There is probably an infestation in some kind of stored food or dry pet food. See the page cited above for more suggestions. Is there a reason you are spraying the exterior of your home so often? Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I have a company coming out to help me. They are not in my food, I vacuum seal my pet food to keep it fresh never realized it would also help keep pests out as well. I spray a lot because I don't like bugs in my house. Where I live is desert and I will get ants if I don't spray. This is the first non ant bug problem I've had in the several years I lived here. Apparently though after talking to a pest control company that this bug is popular this year in the Los Angeles area. I have been recently gardening and buying new flowers am I guessing that may be how they got in my house. Thanks again for your fast reply!

Usually carpet beetles originate indoors but perhaps the pest control company can help locate the source. The adult beetles do feed on pollen so a flower source is definitely possible. I'll also mention that house-invading ants (like pharaoh and Argentine ants) are generally best controlled with baits rather than sprays, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/ant_bait.html for info about this approach to ant control.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology