Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug in coat closet

Question
photo-2
photo-2  

photo-1
photo-1  
I found this bug in my son's new house in Berkeley, California on April 1, 2013, that had been empty for a month or so in his coat closet in the entryway. It was sitting on the top of a hanger.  I grabbed it with a paper towel and threw it away. I thought I squished it but didn't look in the towel. A couple hours later there was one on the edge of the trash can. Different bug? Same bug with armor shell?

I hope you are able to tell me so he can get rid of them before his girlfriend finds one and freaks out.

Oh, they both put jackets in that closet the day before, my son moved from Chico, CA and she moved from another house in Berkeley.
Thank you very much.

Answer
Hi Stephanie
This is the Marmolated stinkbug.  Both photos are the same type of bug. They occasionally invade houses and could have been brought in with the clothes. It is an invasive species from Asia and they are found all over the US. The good thing is that they are harmless plant feeders

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz