Entomology (Study of Bugs)/centipedes

Does these kind of centipedes crack when stepped on?? We have them on our patio and we step on them every time we see them is there some way we can get rid of them??

Most centipedes are harmless and all species in Ohio are so small they pose no threat whatsoever. In fact they are beneficial in that they prey on garden pests. Only a few species in the warm tropical/desert climates grow large enough to bite. The best thing to do is just sweep them into the grass or a nearby flower bed.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology