Entomology (Study of Bugs)/food bug

Question
bug from top
bug from top  

bug upside down
bug upside down  
Hello Eric,

Our kitchen has recently been infested with this little food bug (see attached, size is about 2mm).

We (believe to have) identified the source to a bag of curry and/or cayenne powder which were most heavily infested, however we also found them in the same cupboard in dried dill and other seeds.  

Can you please help us identify the little beast and advise of best practice on how to remove / get rid of them. We have discarded the majority of the open food / spices.   
Will fly/wasp spray help or pyrethrum powder ?

We are in Scotland.  

Thanks for your help  

Robert

Answer
Robert:

The insects in your images are some kind of "spider beetle" in the family Anobiidae (formerly Ptinidae).  This PDF file is the best information I could find with a quick search:

http://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Resource%20Library/SpiderBeetlesFSMar08Final.pdf

It discusses prevention and control.  I would advise against employing chemical treatments around food.

Good luck.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton