Entomology (Study of Bugs)/food bug

bug from top
bug from top  

bug upside down
bug upside down  
Hello Eric,

Our kitchen has recently been infested with this little food bug (see attached, size is about 2mm).

We (believe to have) identified the source to a bag of curry and/or cayenne powder which were most heavily infested, however we also found them in the same cupboard in dried dill and other seeds.  

Can you please help us identify the little beast and advise of best practice on how to remove / get rid of them. We have discarded the majority of the open food / spices.   
Will fly/wasp spray help or pyrethrum powder ?

We are in Scotland.  

Thanks for your help  

The insects in your images are some kind of "spider beetle" in the family Anobiidae (formerly Ptinidae).  This PDF file is the best information I could find with a quick search:

It discusses prevention and control.  I would advise against employing chemical treatments around food.

Good luck.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.