Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Any help identifying these would be great

longer bug
longer bug  

I live in the Bay Area of California and I returned from a vacation to find these tiny bugs scattered about my bed and some concentrated on some under bed storage bins. They are about the size of a grain of salt and some have a longer body than the others. I am hoping they are not bed bugs in different stages.The smaller round ones do not seem to be very active but the longer ones crawl around.

I am attaching 2 pictures of what they look like.

Thank you for you time.

Dear Peter - I cannot see enough detail in your images to be confident of an i.d. - that a side, they definitely are not bed bugs. About the only possibility that would be of real concern is termites, as the small specks could be pellets kicked out by drywood termites - check for small holes (about the diameter of a pencil lead) in the ceiling or high on the walls above your bed as well as low on any wall near the storage bins. I also suggest taking some specimens to your county office of the University of California's Cooperative Extension Service for assistance in identification as well as for any necessary control measures, see for links to contact information.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.