Entomology (Study of Bugs)/house fly indetification

Question
There are a large amount of tiny, slow moving, easy to kill, seemingly harmless flies all around the house. They don't seem to congregate in any specific area and I can't seem to find an origin point either. They seem to like to stick to the ceiling after a hot shower but that could just be because they're already in the bathroom, along with every other part of the house. they don't seem to be interested in fruit or any food left out either. They remind me more of gnats than flies. I've looked all over the internet but I can only seem to find close up pictures that aren;t very helpful. Any help you could give me on identifying them would be appreciated, that way I can researched how to get rid of them.

Answer
Timothy:

Without seeing specimens, or at least images, of the insects in question, the best I can do is speculate.

However, among the most common of indoor flies are "dark-winged fungus gnats" in the family Sciaridae.  Here is more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/7014

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/3104/3104-1579/3104-1579.html

http://www.infestation.ca/insects/sciaridae-gnats.html

All of the above links provide useful information about the life history, prevention, and control of these flies.

Should the images bear absolutely no resemblance to what you are talking about, then feel free to get back to me....BUT with a lot more detail and/or an image.  Even what you think is a poor image might be sufficient for an ID.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton