Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of caterpillar is this?

Question
Image 1
Image 1  

Image 2
Image 2  
My 4 year old daughter found a cute brown caterpillar that is slightly hairy.  We live in North Alabama, if that helps with identifying him.

We found him attached to my daughter's blanket, and would like to figure out what he is supposed to be eating.

Based on some internet searches, he sort of looks like a Grammia arge Moth, but I could be completely wrong.

Please help!

Thanks,
Rob

Answer

Rob:

I can't tell from the images what this might be.  I would caution against handling hairy or spiny larvae, though.  Hairy ones sometimes cause an irritating skin rash, especially in children, or even allergic reactions that could be far worse.  Some spiny caterpillars are venomous, some of the worst stinging insects we have.

Usually if one finds a caterpillar off of its food plant, then it is done eating and looking for a place to pupate; or, it may have an internal parasite or a disease and be crawling off to die somewhere.  Note that diseases and parasites that affect insects are NOT the same ones that cause people problems.

Wish I could be more helpful.  You may want to put the caterpillar in a container with a layer of soil and some leaf litter, plus an upright twig or two.  I'll bet the caterpillar is going to pupate, which may or may not involve spinning a cocoon.  Put the container where it will experience the same cycle of light and darkness that the caterpillar/pupa would experience anyway.  Spritz the inside of the container with water every few days to keep humidity up, but not saturated (so mold doesn't grow).

Good luck!  Eventually, you should have the adult moth :-)

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton