Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Lice

How many different lice are there and are their life cycles different. I asked a school nurse and she said their is only one species of lice and I find that hard to believe. I studied anthropology so... Thank you for your time.

There are two species of lice that infest humans:

The head louse, Pediculus humanus capitis, and the pubic louse (sometimes called the crab louse), Pthirus pubis.

Both of these species lay their eggs (called nits) at the base of hairs.  The nits are attached with a glue secreted by the female.  The nymphs hatch and look just like tiny copies of their parents.  They grow through several stages before reaching adulthood.

The school nurse is probably only concerned with head and body lice because that's the one that will get a student sent home.  I doubt too many school nurses have had to deal with pubic lice!

For more information, look up either of these on the web.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.