Entomology (Study of Bugs)/little bugs never seen before

Question
Hi Eric,

I just moved in to a new apartment. They have few roaches and little, black, round body bugs. They have a service and they're coming to spray. What are the small ones? Oh flat body but round shape. If they spray would they come back?

Thanks

Answer
Laura:

Without seeing specimens, or at least a clear image of the "round body bugs," I have no idea what they could be.

Here's the kicker:  The pest control technicians probably don't have any idea, either.  They are mostly schooled in how to apply chemical treatments so as to comply with federal and state regulations.  Truth is, chemicals should *never* be applied unless and until you know what insect it is that you are trying to control.

You do not indicate where on the planet your new apartment is, but I would take intact specimens of the insects in question to a local entomologist at a natural history museum, university, state or provincial department of agriculture office, or even the public health department (vector control division will have at least one staff entomologist).  He or she can then make a proper identification and offer unbiased control solutions.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton