Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery insect

QUESTION: I'm from Sweden and took this picture in Tulum Mexico. I hope you could tell me at least the family it belong to?
I tried to search to search the internet with no result before i found this site. I have some other unknown insects on flickr but i' m most interessted in this strange one:

Best regards

ANSWER: Dear Lars - Your butterfly is in the family Nymphalidae (brush-footed butterflies; I believe that it is one of the subspecies of Adelpha naxia - see http://tinyurl.com/bu6nyvh for an example. This species is quite variable in color pattern.

Hope this helps,

Mexico insect
Mexico insect  
QUESTION: Thank you for your quick and good answer but something went wrong.
The link to flickr I sent should point to an other insect. I tried the link before I sent the question and after the reply and it works for me? I will attach the picture this time.

I took several pictures of this kind of butterfly in different sizes and patterns when in Mexico so I'm grateful for the answer.

Sorry for the trouble.

Best reagards

Dear Lars - This is a nymph of a bug in the family Fulgoridae (Hemiptera/Auchenorrhyncha). I believe that it is in the genus Scolopsella - see http://tinyurl.com/bovrypx for a similar specimen (likely not the same species as yours)/ Nice photo, by the way!
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.