Entomology (Study of Bugs)/past question

Question
Hi! I read an answer of yours from 2011, regarding Carpet Beetles. You included this link in your answer:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/11210

I have no carpet nor taxidermy, actually few or none of the things listed as food for the adult beetle. I was cleaning a windowsill in which there are 4 flowering African violets, one of them purchased this past week, the others well established. Found the adult carpet beetles. Is it possible for adult carpet beetles to hitch a ride on flowering plants? For the life of me I can think of no other way they could have come in, and they were around the bottom of the plant recently purchased and moving outward. Thanks for you time, I appreciate it!

Answer
Hi, Gail:

Yes, it is certainly possible because the adult beetles feed on flower pollen and nectar.  Still, you'd be surprised at how little it takes to sustain a population of these insects.  They will even regress in their life cycle to whether a temporary absence of food.  They are one of the most amazing and frustrating of all pest insects....

Dust is basically shed skin cells from people and pets, and that is plenty to feed larval carpet beetles.  Even the cleanest homes have carpet beetles at some point.

If you take the precautions in storage and cleaning that I've outlined in previous answers, you should have minimal, if any, problems.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton