Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Please identify bug

Bugs in our house
Bugs in our house  
We have been seeing these little bugs in our house a lot near windows.  Most are dead, but some are still alive.  They are a little larger than a head of a pin.  They have wings under there shell.  If you are able to ID it, could you please offer a solution on how to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Excellent photos of the varied carpet beetle, a type of dermestid beetle. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for another picture and control suggestions. You probably have an infestation in some type of stored, dry food - dry pet food is a common source. Once you locate and dispose of the source thorough cleaning and a little "crack & crevice" insecticide (see page cited above) is all that is needed.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology