Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Please identify bug

Question
Bugs in our house
Bugs in our house  
We have been seeing these little bugs in our house a lot near windows.  Most are dead, but some are still alive.  They are a little larger than a head of a pin.  They have wings under there shell.  If you are able to ID it, could you please offer a solution on how to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Answer
Dennis,

Excellent photos of the varied carpet beetle, a type of dermestid beetle. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for another picture and control suggestions. You probably have an infestation in some type of stored, dry food - dry pet food is a common source. Once you locate and dispose of the source thorough cleaning and a little "crack & crevice" insecticide (see page cited above) is all that is needed.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis