Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Can you please identify this bug

We are selling our house on Friday in Houston, Tx. Turns out we have termites and they are coming to treat the house tomorrow. In the past couple of days I have noticed a little brown bug crawling on the walls in our bedrooms s sometimes in the sheets of our bed.I think they have clear wings on them. Today I found them crawling on the wall of the utility room (which is next to our bedroom) are these termites that are now in the house? If they are not termites what are they? I don't want to bring them with us to our new house!! Please help! Thanks so much!!

Dear Summer _ This is a small beetle, and not a termite. I cannot see enough detail in your image to be confident of an identification, but likely suspects include cigarette and drugstore beetles in the family Anobiidae. See for detailed information including control recommendations. These beetles and their larvae feed on a very wide variety of dry organic material, including many items found in pantries and other food storage areas.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.