Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small Black Bug in Window Sill

Question
Close-up Photo
Close-up Photo  

Another Picture
Another Picture  
I have been mystified by the appearance of these tiny black bugs which have appeared on my window screens and dozens have collected on the window sill between the window and screen. I keep the windows closed so they do not come in my home. They are tiny, perhaps 1mm in size. I have attached a close-up photo of one on my window screen and as you can see from the photo it can easily fit through the small openings in the screen. They do not move very often and when they do move they either jump or fly, it is hard to tell as they are so small.  When looking at them with the naked eye they look like a small black speck. I live in a two story home and they are mainly located on the second floor windows. Also, they appear in the spring and disappear in the winter, I live in Indianapolis.
Any help with identifying these little guys would be greatly appreciated!

Answer

Ken:

Nice image of a dark-winged fungus gnat, family Sciaridae.  I'd love if you'd share the image with me so I could use it in a blog post about these insects.  I would need your full name for credit, a date, and geographic location in the e-mail with the image file...

Here is more about the gnats.  They feed as larvae on decaying organic matter, and are frequently abundant in the potting soil of overwatered houseplants.  

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05584.html

http://bugguide.net/node/view/7014

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2114.html

Hope the above helps.  In my experience they are at worst a nuisance, and the adult flies live only two- three days, dying in the soap dish.

Eric
bugeric24ATyahooDOTcom

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton