Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider sightings

This may not be of any interest you or te other arthropod experts but I would like to relay the following.

I live in the Florida Panhandle and I walk my dog at night along a wood section of road.  When I do I wear a Browning Clip-on Flash light that has a green and white Light.  I like the green light because it a little brighter and easier on my night vision.  I have noticed that a particular spider's eyes give off a very distinct bright reflection.  They do not do this with the normal white light.  I have been amazed at the number of spiders I see with this light.

So, I don't know if this is something for you spider guys to use to research spiders at night.  But, it is just an observation I have had while walking the dog at night.  

Again, I don't know if this is a particular spider or all spiders.

Wolf spiders are very active at night and their eyes reflect light.  I see them all the time at my home in the country south of San Antonio.  I haven't noticed this phenomenon with other spiders, but I would not be surprised if tarantulas and trap door spiders have reflective eyes as well.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.