Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Swarm

April 2, at 4:30, 2013,  while in the back yard throwing a ball for my dogs I heard a loud  buzzing sound.  I turned to see a huge cloud of insects flying over my house towards my back yard. My dogs, who usually are reluctant to end play time, reached the back door before me.  I managed to get inside without encountering any of the unidentified creatures and in time to see that they did not stop in my trees but kept on going.  I have no idea what they were.  The looked too small to be a wasp or grass hopper.  They sounded like a bee, but it would have to be a small one.  Could they have been lady bugs?  Do you have any ideas what they could have been.  To be honest I felt as though I was living in one of those cheesy ScyFi movies that are shown on Saturday and Sunday.

What you saw was a honeybee swarm moving from one place to another.  It's an interesting phenomenon to see.  Bees in this activity are not looking to cause problems or are chasing something.  They are looking for a new place to set up shop and build a hive.

This time of year, honeybee colonies produce young queens and they will leave the hive and take some workers with them to begin a new colony elsewhere.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.