Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unidentified bug

Unknown bug
Unknown bug  
The bug in the picture was crawling along the floor next to an area rug in our bedroom.  I hit it to kill it, so in the process it was damaged a little.  It is about 1/2 inch long and we have never seen anything like this here before. My concern is naturally whether it is a sufficient threat that I should have a pest control guy in, or is it just OK to not worry about it.  It looks to be larger than a bedbug, but that would be my biggest worry.  Thank you so much for any info that you can give me on what this is!

The remains of the insect in your image belong to a cockroach.  It is not an adult, but an immature stage called a "nymph."

You might consider putting out a sticky trap or two to see if there are more around, but generally if you don't regularly see them (especially at night), then the population is not great enough to warrant an extermination service.

I believe the disease-spreading potential for cockroaches is overblown....HOWEVER, there is concrete evidence that their shed exoskeletons, body parts, feces, and such can aggravate asthma, especially in children.  Do take this into account if you manage a rental property.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.