Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is it?

I photographed this bug in Ecuador - east side at say 500 m.
The 2 huge legs and large size make it unusual.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Link to photo:

Dear Les - As you already know, this is a leaf-footed bug (Hemiptera/Heteroptera: Coreidae). My best guess is that it could be in the genus Acanthocephala - see http://tinyurl.com/bp6p7ne for an example. Some of these are truly impressive, with a body length of 50mm or so.
Hope this helps,

Unfortunately, there appears to be little detailed information available on the species that occur in Ecuador and adjacent areas. If you search for images, you usually will find no information other than the date, location, and identity of the photographer. Very occasionally, if you're lucky, you may find that someone has commented on a possible i.d. on Flickr...

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.