Entomology (Study of Bugs)/black widow bite and blood sugar

Question
Can a black widow's venom change my body's ability to handle sugar? Basically, I was recently bit by a black widow and now whenever I drink sugar in my coffee I have headaches. Never had a problem with this before and the headache feels similar to the one that accompanied the bite with acute nausea. How long will the body suffer from toxicity after being bitten? Is it possible that I still have the venom in my body and eating the sugar is causing a rise in the level of toxins or is it completely unrelated and coincidental?

Answer
Dear Kate - Black widow venom is a neurotoxin, and would have no effect on how your body metabolizes sugar. The neurological symptoms can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks; see http://tinyurl.com/b5sz9m2 for a detailed article. I can only suggest that you consult a physician about your headaches that appear to be sugar-related.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad