Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Brown spider

Question
Brown spider
Brown spider  

Brown spider
Brown spider  
This brown spider showed up in the kitchen yesterday. It has a smooth brown body. I'm the Pacific Northwest we have the recluse but I'm certain this is something else. With kids and pets, just want to be sure it's not something to worry about. The picture shows it much darker than it actually is. It's light brown, sort of close to the color of cocoa.

Answer
Hi Candy
This is a harmless spider belonging to a group called the Gnophsid spiders. I do not know where you heard about the Brown Recluse in the Pacific Northwest but I can assure that this genus of spiders is not found anywhere you. The Brown recluse occurs only in the South central states. There are related species in the southwest. There are no dangerous spiders where you are.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz