Entomology (Study of Bugs)/cacoon & larve identification

Question
Larve
Larve  

cacoon
cacoon  
I found a single cacoon hanging by nearly a tread from an pin oak.
I disected the cacoon and took the larve out.  It wiggled for a couple of days and then died.  I did this for a neighbors little girl who loves bugs.  We are trying to figure out what it was.  I took pictures and would like to send them for help in identifying.  I attached 2, but I have more which may be more helpful.  Can you help me
Glen Gunther

Nazareth, PA

Answer
Hi Glen
It is difficult to identify a cocoon and a chrysalis because they look so much alike. From the size and shape I think it was  one of the Saturn moths. If you find a cocoon like this again put in  a container and wait for it to emerge

Google Saturn moth cocoons Glen and you will see why I though this was a saturn moth, possibly a Polyphemus. You can see how they look so much alike

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz