Entomology (Study of Bugs)/cocoon cluster on lemon bush

cocoon on lemon bush
cocoon on lemon bush  
I saw this cluster of cocoons on my lemon bush. I haven't seen anything like this before and it is not on either of our lemon trees or on any of the other plants.

The picture was taken a couple of days ago.

We live near Tracy California.

Do you have an idea what they might be?

Hi Avi
These are very strange and I have not seen anything like this before. If I could examine these up close I would remove one and break it open. Do I see an opening at the top? At first I though about paper wasps. Are they papery.  Do you see any wasps or other insect flying around them Why not open one and see what is inside. How long did it take for these to appear?
See if you can tell me  more about these things and let me know.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ