Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Follow Up to Fly Photo . . .

Here is the picture you are wanting . . .

Hello, Rick - Although the wing veins in your image seem reasonably clear at first glance, I still cannot make out the one that would cinch it as a flower/hover fly, namely the so-called 'spurious vein' or 'vena spuria' - see and for images. This vein is unique to the family Syrphidae. At any rate, if I had seen this image first, I never would even have mentioned a bee fly as a possibility! All that I can say with any certitude is that it could be a syrphid.
Hope this helps, and thank you for your patience; I often believe that I learn as much or even more from participating in this forum than do those whose questions I attempt to answer.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.