Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Found in Sewer pipe

Question
Gowth and Insect
Gowth and Insect  
QUESTION: There is an odd growth I have never seen attached to the wall of a city sewer pipe.  There are a number of insects throughout the same pipe and I was wondering if they are related. The growth's main mass is 1" in diameter and the insect length is about 0.5"

Just curious if you could tell me what they are.

ANSWER: Dear Nathan - Can you please resize and then resend your image? The one you sent occupied only a small fraction of the allowable window, and I cannot see any detail that would allow me to make an identification.
Thanks,
Saugy

Bigger
Bigger  
QUESTION: Bigger pictures

ANSWER: Dear Nathan - The 'insects' actually are terrestrial crustaceans in the order Isopoda. Commonly known as sowbugs or pillbugs, they are harmless scavengers on decomposing organic matter, and require damp/humid conditions to persist in any environment - they breathe by means of gills that must be kept moist in order to function. See http://tinyurl.com/bm465xf for more information.
 The odd growth is unrelated, and appears to be fungal in nature.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

QUESTION: Could the other growth be a tubifex worm?

Answer
Dear Nathan - No, it would not be tubifex worms, as they are not found on walls, but always are submerged insome fashion - http://tinyurl.com/lfk47b. The filaments extending from your structure are what make me suspect it is fungal-related.

Sincerely,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad