Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Green bug/beetle

I live in north western Vermont. In a. Log home surrounded by thousands of acres of hardwoods. I recently have seen articles on the Ash Boring beetle and I realize at this time they are not in Vermont - yet. I recently saw a fluorescent beetle crawling away from me and I could not catch it or see the full bug. (I have to use crutches to get around so I'm not very quick). But it was about 2 inches long and a brilliant fluorescent color. The info sheet I saw was predominately a pix in the moth stage and a small pix as a beetle. What other types of bugs/beetles are this color.  Thank you very much for doing this type of info sharing.  Gene

There are many, many insects that are metallic green or bright green in color, so I can't really help you.  The Emerald Ash Borer is pretty small, though, and not readily noticeable.  I suspect it was actually a Six-spotted Tiger Beetle, Cicindela sexguttata , that you saw.  They are very common at this time of year on woodland paths:

Note the six white spots are difficult to see, and sometimes absent altogether.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.