Entomology (Study of Bugs)/hard shelled small bug

I live in Conway, SC for past 4 yrs.  First year we have tiny hard shelled beetles all over our plants, house, fencing, etc.  my leaves are being eaten on our plants and leaves turning yellow.  They fly and are in the ground in my potted lemon tree plant.  I have tried all sorts of bug killers, nothing working.  What are they and what can I use to kill them.  They look like a small version of a ladybug only black  help

If you post a picture I'll confirm the id but this sounds like it might be the kudzu bug. See for a picture of this insect. Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology